Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sweet Nectar

Some people think that my religion is too restrictive on what I can drink...but there are so many wonderful (non-alcoholic, non-coffee, non-tea) dinks available. I fondly call them "sweet nectar." At the top of my list of sweet nectars would have to be Melon (Honeydew) Soda, Melon Boba (aka Bubble Tea or Pearl Milk Tea, minus the tea for me), and Julmust (thanks Ikea and Jungle Jims for supplying it.) Besides the Boba, which I prefer in smoothie form, I am guessing my fondness for melon soda and Julmust stems largely from the fact that they are rare treats due to availability.


I first had melon soda during my mission to Japan (Fanta was a big producer in Japan, so why can't Coca Cola bring it here!) I can sometimes find a barely adequate version at a local Korean or Chinese store, and if I am lucky I can find a good melon syrup to mix my own.
Julmust is a Swedish soda available at Christmas and at Easter, but it is called Paskmust at Easter (Hint: Jul=Christmas, Pask=Easter). Anyway, I was first introduced to it at Ikea, as I am always looking for another good sweet nectar. It had an unsual taste, one that was unfamiliar to me...low and behold it contains hops and malt extracts. So I am very glad I don't drink alcohol...I already have enough of a "beer belly" without it.

Ok, back to Boba. I can have this more often as I can easily get the powder flavoring, tapioca, etc. to make it myself, plus there are lots of Asian restaurants, stores, and mall kiosks that can serve me up some of this "sweet, sweet [said in a Homer Simpson voice of course] nectar." When I went home to Cincy a couple of years ago, I was happy to find a Boba stand at Cincinnati Mills, but it was gone the last time I was in town. So please, if you know, where can I get Boba in Cincy, let me know. Anyway, back to what it is: Basically a smoothie made from milk, ice, and flavoring poured over syrup soaked tapioca balls (of the big variety) that you suck up through an over-sized straw. It is fun to drink, but be careful not to choke. Also, if you don't want tea in it, be sure to ask them not to add it.

If you have an unusual sweet nectar you think I would like, please let me know!



1 comment:

heather said...

Nothing beats a melon soda on hot humid day in Japan!

Fireman Mormon