Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Searching for Treasure

In this category, I have three main activities that I enjoy: researching genealogy, geocaching, and metal detecting.

As you can tell from my reading list on the sidebar, you can probably rightly conclude that I am fond of history. This either fuels or is a result from my love of genealogy. Not only do I love getting to know my ancestors, who obviously preceded me, but I love solving mysteries (which means I would be glad to help you with your family research too.) I use and create various analytic tools to solve my family mysteries, greatly aided by the Internet. For example, I take old maps that I find online and use the image overlay function in Google Earth to map out where my people lived, worked, and played. This has helped solve a few mysteries, plus it looks cool. I also highly recommend Live Local as it has Bird's Eye view maps, and don't forget Google's street level maps.



Geocaching is another fun event. Basically, you get coordinates to caches (usually ammo boxes with a log book and prizes). You then use a GPS device to get you to where it is hidden. You sign the logbook, leave a prize and take a prize (if available and desired). I like this activity, because I can spend time with my family and enjoy the outdoors, not to mention the thrill of pretending to be a pirate in search of a hidden booty. I use my Palm TX with a Holux GPS bluetooth receiver and CotoGPS software. Go to http://www.geocaching.com/ to get started.

Finally, metal detecting is something I just recently started. Similar to geocaching it is fun to spend time outdoors with the family, and who knows you might find something of value. So far, I have mostly found quarters of recent mintage, but the most exciting item has been (no, not the 1980s Pepsi can) an Australian two dollar coin, of course it was less exciting when I fully unearthed it and discovered it really wasn't a gold coin, merely "golden." I use a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, which seems to work well for me so far.




1 comment:

T J V said...

Aaauuggh! Still so freaking excited you found me! Ok, I get the geo-caching I totally want to try that but the whole not actually owning one gets in the way. But I want to see some pics of the family...