Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sports

Like most men, I enjoy sports. As far as organized sports I participated in, I played football from age five to 18, and during that same time period I mixed in some baseball, basketball, and wrestling. I unfortunately I suffered burnout with football and chose not to play in college, using the excuse that I was too short to play offensive tackle for a Division I school. (Note: Have you ever measured your wingspan, from middle finger to middle finger? Almost always this is how tall you are, or in the case of my grandparents were before they shrunk a little. I however have a wingspan of 6'3", but am only 6'0". Ok, so I am closer related to apes than the rest of you.)

Since I have doused the flames of desire to engage in organized sports, I am regulated to watching others do so. I am still a fan of the Cincinnati Reds and Bengals (despite how hard they make it for me), but in general, all of the negative press stemming from strikes, drugs, and violence in U.S. professional sports has led me to follow foreign professional sports, namely rugby. Being of Welsh origin (ok, I am a mix of everything, but my surname is Welsh) I have been following the Welsh Brains, the national rugby team of Wales (the team that happened to win the Grand Slam again this year, too bad in the World Cup last year though. And did you know that rugby fight songs are actually hymns?!)

Breaking through the Irish line.

Rugby: the speed of hockey and soccer, the hard-hitting tackles of football....I must say after watching rugby, I thought about joining a local league, before remembering that a serious injury would not benefit my family. Oh well....

1 comment:

JohnP said...

Dude, one of my co-workers is on the Utah rugby team. He's got a bumper sticker that says, "Yes, Mom, I still play rugby." Went to see one of his games last weekend. Kinda cool. The kids liked it. And I guess I kinda did too.