Saturday, April 18, 2009

Amish Country

At least once a year, we make a pilgrimage to Amish Country in Lancaster County, PA. It some magical force that draws us there. We still get excited to see the Amish riding in their horse drawn buggys, their traditional "plain" clothing, and to hear their German accents when they speak. I think I feel a strong connection with them partly from knowing that my grandmother's ancestry where Amish who settled in the same county over 200 years ago. Of course, I must admit I love their pretzels, my favorite being Immergut Pretzels. We went back this year on Easter weekend. I made sure to get some birch beer (a type of root beer) and delicious cheeses. We enjoyed driving around the back roads around the many farms and along the Susquehana River, the same river that the Prophet Joseph Smith was baptized, but we were much further down stream from that area.



No comments: