Friday, January 29, 2010

Six Nations Championship


As I have mentioned before, I like, no I love rugby! My love for the sport actually originated from an unlikely source. Several years ago, while researching my genealogy, I discovered my Welsh origins. At the same time I had discovered Aussie Rules Football on the local MHz station. I took the two data points, along with my years of disappointment in the Bengals performance in the NFL, and decided to look into rugby with the aim of cheering for my Celtic homeland of Wales.

So in 2005, I followed my first Six Nations Championship, listening to matches via online radio stations. Choosing to cheer for Wales was no disappointment, as they not only won the championship, they won a Grand Slam, meaning that they beat every single opponent.

I remember that I was particularly taken back by the singing of hymns before the matches. I soon became a fan of the William Williams hymn Cwm Rhondda, or as we here in the States know it, Guide Me, O Thou Great Redeemer. Cwm Rhondda is, of course, the battle hymn of Wales Rugby.

I have ever since been a huge fan of Wales Rugby and of the Six Nations Championship. I can't wait until 6 Feb 2010 to watch the Welsh take on the English in their Six Nations opener. The tune As Long As We Beat the English is going through my head as I type. Go Wales! Beat the English, and bring home another Grand Slam!

No comments: