Sunday, September 7, 2008

Blueberries


My wife said that she has often noticed when the blogs that she follows do not have new posts for a long time the bloggers end up posting that they are pregnant. Well let me quickly allay any fears and squash any rumors here and now...I am not pregnant. Perhaps this comes as a surprise to those of you were guessing that my absence could only mean that I was with child, but I was merely on a vacation.

Anyway, during my vacation, we had the wonderful opportunity to go pick blueberries. It was a wonderful experience, especially since we could eat as many as we wished. We also bucketed 3lbs to take home for later as the price was right at 90 cents a pound.

After the picking, my hands looked like I just triggered an anti-theft ink packet. Luckily I managed to not squish any of the blue, sweet nectar onto my shirt. The blueberries certainly had a chance to stain my shirt, as I found that the biggest, juiciest morsels were in thick patches at the top, so I would press in close and pull the branches down to reach those beauties.

I have saved the seeds of a few choice berries and hope to plant a blueberry orchard of my own. They are now in the refrigerator to trick the seeds into germinating, so hopefully I will be able to post photos of my success in a few months. I haven't met a seed that I could not get to grow yet, unfortunately keeping them alive is another thing. Case in point, a few vacations ago my poor kiwi plant that I grew from a seed dehydrated. I am now nursing a couple of tomato plants back to life after this most recent trip. Perhaps I should get one of those "pretty" glass ball self-watering systems.

5 comments:

Christie said...

I love blueberries too - in fact, I just planted a blueberry bush in my yard. I'm not sure if blueberries even grow in Utah, but I'm gonna try.

I'm also big on the seed thing. Have you read any of my recent posts? I talk about that very thing :)

Me said...

Yeah I did see your posts. Your garden is wonderful, it is amazing how a desert can be transformed. My wife calls me Willy Loman, from "Death of Salesman," because of the stress relief that I get out of my micro-gardens.

Corrie- said...

Mmm. Blueberries. Great idea on the seed saving!

Kirk and Jamie said...

All you can eat? I figured they would just weigh you when you first arrived, weigh you again when you left, and charge you for the difference in body weight. Although, I suppose if you were to answer nature's call at the farm they might end up owing you money using that system.

Me said...

Funny that you should mention that Kirk and Jamie...I will warn you not to eat the berries that have fallen to the ground under the extra healthy looking bush.