Monday, May 9, 2011

Gourmet Food


Caviar - I love fish eggs...I do. I have had excellent Salmon Roe that was a buttery, almost soy sauce flavor...I have enjoyed little bits of salty goodness from Lumpfish...However, I have yet to have the real stuff, meaning Sturgeon eggs. I just read in the Wall Street Journal about California fish farms that will add to the supply, so luckily the self-imposed trade restrictions Russia has on its caviar will not prevent me from partaking of this treat.

Truffles - As I mentioned before, I love chocolate truffles, but I also love the fungi variety. Black truffle over an omelet is awesome (adds an almost muted garlic and robust cheese flavor, at least to me). White truffle infused oil is divine over spaghetti noodles and salmon (available seasonally at Trader Joe's). That said, I would love to go on a hunt for and then enjoy a white truffle that is more expensive than the computer I am typing this from.

Balsamic Vinegar - I dream of enjoying a high quality balsamic vinegar that is so viscous it oozes like molasses. Of course, I would pour it over a nice sweet strawberry that is big as an apple.

1 comment:

Kirk and Jamie said...

Do you know how long Caviar lasts? We have had a jar in the fridge for about a year now that a classmate of Kirks brought back from I think Greece - the real stuff. A gift for writing a paper that was a group effort. We just haven't gotten around to trying it. Maybe, if it is still good, we can find a way to get together this summer and share it with a true caviar connoisseur.